Welcome to Roots Zine, a new grassroots initiative, a community transmitter and creative outlet.
Jam packed with quirky and thought provoking contributions , this collab has been a long time coming and it’s better than we had imagined
Roots Zine Issue #1 is hot off the press and we are excited to be sharing it with you all! We have produced a limited edition of 300 copies along with some sneaky button badges to celebrate this first issue. Now available to order online below. You can also pick one up from the bar staff at all Eco Park Events.
‘Now is the time to launch a new grassroots initiative that communicates all that is going on in our community, in its hearts and minds and on the ground. Roots Zine is essentially a creative outlet, a transmitter for getting involved in the good stuff, discovering new ways to make a difference. Roots Zine embodies the ethos of the Eco Park…..inclusion, understanding, respect, the love of our environment and ecosystem, music, food, people… finding joy in the DIY culture.’ Tim Stirrup, founding Director of the Eco Park
Eco Park Press is now inviting contributions for the issue #2 of Roots Zine along the theme of ‘Freedom’, read on to find out how to submit your contributions.
From sci-fi enthusiasts, to the British Punk scene, the ‘Fanzine’ was around long before there was Twitter or Instagram. Zines tend to focus on cult subjects and thrive within artistic communities, they embody impulsivity – an insider’s point of view, reporting the moment exactly as it happens. With a do-it-yourself ethos using a blend of hand written articles and stark montages of image and text, zines perfectly capture an impulsive movement too fast to process.
ROOTS ZINE Issue #2 ‘FREEDOM’
Submission Deadline Friday 19th February 2021
We are now accepting contributions for the next issue of Roots Zine, responding to the theme of Freedom. Submissions can be in a range of disciplines articles, drawings, interviews, illustrations, photographs, recipes, comics, poems, letters etc… – however you best express yourself.
Nothing needs to be too polished – this is DIY culture don’t forget! Keep the word count low, we are hoping to share plenty of ideas; stories of local adventurers, movements, groups, seasonal changes, what’s happening right now? New music, passions, what’s kept you going in these past few months? Have you found an inspiring story you are burning to share? Issue themes can be interpreted in many ways – lets see how this shapes up?
1. Please title your email submissions ‘Roots Zine Issue #2 [your name as it should appear in print] – ‘title of submission’
2. Art Submissions – Roots Zine will be printed at A5 size portrait (21cm x 14.85). For full bleed artwork please include a 3mm bleed all around. Please be advised that we will be printing using a stencil based Risograph printer therefore artworks may need to be recoloured or printed in a single ink colour.
3. Postal submissions should be no larger than A5 and sent to Roots Zine, Studio 3, Mount Pleasant Eco Park, Porthtowan, Cornwall TR4 8HL – please include your contact details and these should also be received before the submission deadline.
4. Longform written submissions should be submitted as a word or Google doc and have a word count of no longer than 500 words. There will be a limited number of spaces allocated for these longer written submissions. If you have images to accompany your written submission, please send them all together and title the image files accordingly.
5. Short written submissions should have a word count of no more than 250 words and be submitted as a word or Google doc. Alternatively these can also be handwritten to be treated as an image (see 3. Art submission details above).
5. If submitting multiple separate works for the same issue, please send these in a separate email.
6. Email email@example.com with your submissions or for more guidance.
7: Submission Deadline: Friday 19th February 2021
Please send all submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to Roots Zine, Eco Park Press, Unit 3, Mount Pleasant Eco park, Porthtowan TR4 8HL.
Roots Zine #1 Movement now on sale!Read More
Roots Zine #1 Movement Limited Edition Badge PackRead More